Martínez Feliu, Agustín
Research Professor (CSIC)
Address: Instituto de Tecnología Química (ITQ)
Avenida de los Naranjos s/n
46022 Valencia, Spain
Phone: (+34) 963 877 808
Researcher ID: D-2644-2012
Agustín Martínez was born in Alzira (Valencia, Spain) in 1961 and received the degree in Chemistry at the University of Valencia in 1984. His Ph.D. studies were performed at the Instituto de Catálisis y Petroleoquímica (ICP-CSIC) in Madrid under the guidance of Prof. Avelino Corma in the subject of zeolite catalysts for catalytic cracking. He received the Ph.D. degree in 1990. During the period of 1988-1990 he was working at the R&D Centre of the refining company CEPSA in Madrid. In 1991, he got a permanent position at the ITQ and in 2009 was promoted to full Research Professor at CSIC.
His researches mainly dealt with the development of more efficient and environmentally friendly heterogeneous catalysts for producing fine chemicals, petrochemicals, and clean fuels. Currently, his research interests are mostly focused on developing and gaining fundamental understanding on catalysts for the valorization of C1 molecules, including the direct conversion of natural gas (methane), synthesis gas (Fischer-Tropsch synthesis, DME synthesis, C2+ oxygenates), and CO2 to value-added chemicals and synthetic fuels.
Agustín Martínez has led several national and UE projects and has participated in different R&D contracts with major chemical-refining companies, among which Repsol (Spain), Eni (Italy), IFP (France), Rhodia (France), Conoco-Philips (USA), Lurgi (Germany), Petrobras (Brasil), Abengoa Biotechnology (Spain), Novargi (Spain), and Sener (Spain) are worth to be mentioned. He is co-author of about 120 articles published in peer-reviewed international scientific journals and more than 10 chapters in scientific books and encyclopedias. His publications have received near 9.000 citations, with an h-index of 51 (Scopus source). He is also co-inventor of 12 issued patents and presented more than 120 contributions in national and international congresses and meetings, including several Plenary Lectures and Keynotes.
Currently, he is member of the Catalysis Committee of the International Zeolite Association (IZA) and is one of the two delegates of the Spanish Catalysis Society in the International Association of Catalysis Societies (IACS).
In 2000, Agustín Martínez was awarded the National CSIC-Volkswagen Prize for Young Researchers (under 40) by his outstanding contributions in the field of environmentally friendly transportation fuels.
List of 15 most relevant scientific contributions (from newest to oldest)
- S. Escorihuela, F. Toldra-Raig, S. Escolástico, R. Murciano, A. Martínez, J.M. Serra, Copper Surface-alloying of H2-permeable Pd-based membrane for integration in Fischer-Tropsch synthesis reactors, Journal of Membrane Science 619 (2021) 118516.
- F. Bertella, C.W. Lopes, A.C. Foucher, G. Agostini, P. Concepción, E.A. Stach, A. Martínez, Insights into the promotion with Ru of Co/TiO2 Fischer-Tropsch catalysts: An in situ spectroscopic study, ACS Catalysis 10 (2020) 6042-6057.
- S. Mohammadnasabomran, A. Tavsoli, Y. Zamani, C. Márquez-Álvarez, J. Pérez-Pariente, A. Martínez, Influence of amines in the synthesis of mesotructured aluminas and assessment as supports for Co-based Fischer-Tropsch synthesis catalysts, Fuel Processing Technology 205 (2020) 106433.
- M. Shamzhy, M. Opanasenko, P. Concepción, A. Martínez, New trends in tailoring active sites in zeolite-based catalysts, Chemical Society Reviews 40 (2019) 1095-1149.
- G.M. Cabello González, R. Murciano, A.L. Villanueva Perales, A. Martínez, F. Vidal-Barrero, M. Campoy, Ethanol conversion into 1,3-butadiene over a mixed Hf-Zn catalyst. Effect of reaction conditions and wáter content in ethanol, Fuel Processing Technology 193 (2019) 263-272.
- S. Moussa, P. Concepción, M.A. Arribas, A. Martínez, Nature of Active Nickel Sites and Initiation Mechanism for Ethylene Oligomerization on Heterogeneous Ni-beta Catalysts, ACS Catalysis 8 (2018) 3903-3912.
- S.H. Morejudo, R. Zanón, S. Escolástico, I. Yuste-Tirados, H. Malerød-Fjeld, P.K. Vestre, W.G. Coors, A. Martínez, T. Norby, J.M. Serra, C. Kjølseth, Direct conversion of methane to aromatics in a catalytic co-ionic membrane reactor, Science 353 (2016) 563-566.
- S. Moussa, M.A. Arribas, P. Concepción, A. Martínez, Heterogeneous oligomerization of ethylene to liquids on bifunctional Ni-based catalysts: The influence of support properties on nickel speciation and catalytic performance, Catalysis Today 277 (2016) 78-88.
- A. Martínez, M.A. Arribas, S.B.C. Pergher, Bifunctional noble metal/zeolite catalysts for upgrading low-quality diesel fractions via selective opening of naphthenic rings, Catalysis Science and Technology 6 (2016) 2528-2542.
- G. Prieto, M.I.S. De Mello, P. Concepción, R. Murciano, S.B.C. Pergher, A. Martínez, Cobalt-catalyzed Fischer-Tropsch synthesis: Chemical nature of the oxide support as a performance descriptor, ACS Catalysis 5 (2015) 3323-3335.
- A. García-Trenco, A. Martínez, Direct synthesis of DME from syngas on hybrid CuZnAl/ZSM-5 catalysts: New insights into the role of zeolite acidity, Applied Catalysis A: General 411 (2012) 170-179.
- G. Prieto, A. Martínez, P. Concepción, R. Moreno-Tost, Cobalt particle size effects in Fischer-Tropsch synthesis: Structural and in situ spectroscopic characterization on reverse micellar-synthesized Co/ITQ-2 model catalysts, Journal of Catalysis 266 (2009) 129-144.
- A. Martínez, C. López, F. Márquez, I. Díaz, Fischer-Tropsch Synthesis of Hydrocarbons over Mesoporous Co/SBA-15 Catalysts: The Influence of Metal Loading, Cobalt Precursor, and Promoters, Journal of Catalysis 220 (2003) 486-499.
- A. Corma, A. Martínez, V. Martínez-Soria, J.B. Montón, Hydrocracking of Vacuum Gas-Oil on the Novel Mesoporous MCM-41 Aluminosilicate Catalyst, Journal of Catalysis 153 (1995) 25-31.
- A. Corma, A. Martínez, Chemistry, Catalysts and Processes for Isoparaffin-Olefin Alkylation: Actual Situation and Future Trends, Catalysis Reviews – Science & Engineering 35 (1993) 483-570.
Competitive R&D Projects (last 10 years)
2019-2022. Conversión directa de CO2 en portadores de energía química utilizando reactores electrocatalíticos de membrana. CICYT (TRI2018-102161-B-I00).
2015-2018. Almacenamiento de energía vía reducción de CO2 a combustibles y productos químicos. CICYT (ENE2014-57651-R).
2011-2013. Catalizadores avanzados para la conversión de gas de síntesis en combustibles. CICYT (CTQ2010-17988).
2021-2025. Project CO2SMOS (European Union). Advanced chemicals production from biogenic CO2 emissions for circular bio-based industries.
2019-2022. Project eCOCO2 (European Union). Direct electrocatalytic conversion of CO2 into chemical energy carriers in a co-ionic membrane reactor.
2014-2017. Project ELECTRA (European Union). High temperature electrolyser with novel proton ceramic tubular modules of superior efficiency, robustness, and lifetime economy.
2009-2014. Project OCMOL (European Union). Oxidative coupling of methane followed by oligomerization to liquids.