ITQ INTERNATIONAL PhD PROGRAM “la Caixa”- Severo Ochoa (2016 CALL)
The “la Caixa” Foundation is a non profit organization that, through the International PhD Fellowship programme Severo Ochoa, provides funds to accredited centres to offer four-year pre-doctoral fellowships.
The “la Caixa” Foundation has selected the Institute of Chemical Technology (ITQ), a joint centre of Universitat Politècnica de València (UPV) and the Higher Council for Scientific Research (CSIC) and awarded with the Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence accreditation in 2012 to finance PhD fellowships aimed at highly skilled graduates to carry out their PhD studies at the Institute of Chemical Technology (ITQ). This programme is the result of a collaboration agreement between the UPV-ITQ and “la Caixa” Foundation.
This programme aims to allow the Institute of Chemical Technology to recruit research staff for training through the provision of contracts for predoctoral training of research staff covered by funds provided by “la Caixa” Foundation,
Within the context of the PhD fellowship programme “la Caixa” – Severo Ochoa, the Institute of Chemical Technology wishes to recruit outstanding graduates with high scientific motivation, interested in receiving interdisciplinary training in research topics related to catalysis and synthesis of advanced materials for their use in energy production processes and chemical products in order to obtain the PhD degree.
Number and duration of fellowships
The number of grants for this call is two, each with a minimum duration of one year renewable to a maximum of four.
This call is opened to candidates of all nationalities.
To be eligible, applicants must, at the time of the deadline for submission of their individual fellowship application, fulfill the following requirements:
1. Demonstrate compliance with the requirements for access to official doctoral studies in accordance with current PhD regulations or, alternatively, candidates may demonstrate that in the time of filing the application are registered in a 2015-2016 official University Master Course to access to a 2016-2017 Doctorate Program, in accordance with current regulations.
2. In the case of graduates (studies of 5 years), engineers and architects or equivalent in foreign university systems, date of completion of the grade, engineering, architecture or equivalent studies must be after January 1, 2013
3. In the case of grade (studies of 4 years), three-year diploma graduates, technical engineers and technical architects or equivalent in foreign university systems, date of completion of the grade, three-year diploma grade, technical engineering, technical architecture or equivalent studies must be after January 1, 20123.
4. Student’s minimum grade point average. Applicants must certify that their grade point average in all its higher education studies is equal to or higher than 2.0 out of 4.0.
5. Candidates must have a solid knowledge of English – spoken and written – and able to express themselves fluently in English. A certificate in English is not necessary. This level will be assessed by the committee in the practical test that will be conducted in English.
6. Candidates must not have had a scientific relationship with the ITQ for more than six consecutive months prior to the date of application established in this call. Scientific relationship entails those research training activities of the candidate, covered or not by an employment contract, carried out in the facilities and with resources of the ITQ.
(You can find the complete list of requirement in the CALL INFORMATION 2016 (EN))
Payment of contracts is established as follows: a) fourteen monthly instalments of € 1324.75 gross during the first year of the contract; b) fourteen monthly instalments of € 1378.83 gross during the second year of the contract; c) fourteen monthly instalments of € 1476.15 gross during the third year of the contract; d) fourteen monthly instalments of € 1611.33 gross in the fourth year of the contract.
These grants also include an annual budget of €1500 each of the first two years and € 1700 each of the last two, to cover tuition, books, software, registration to conferences, trips and travel, and any other scientific or academic activities of the beneficiary.
How to apply
Applications shall be made through one of the following systems:
a) By submitting the documents required in the call to the CTT registry (Edificio 6G, 3ª planta, Camino de Vera s/n; 46022 Valencia, Spain).
b) Through registries, post offices, consular offices of Spain and any other agency referred to in Article 38.4 of Law 30/1992 of 26 November on the Legal Regime of Public Administration and Common Administrative Procedure to the following address: Programa “la Caixa” – Severo Ochoa Instituto de Tecnología Química (6C), Av. de los Naranjos s/n, 46022 Valencia, Spain.
c)Through the online form available from the ITQ website at the following link: FORM
The deadline to send applications is:
- 3:00 pm (Spanish time) on April 11, 2016 for on-line applications (option c above)
- 3:00 pm (Spanish time) on April 18, 2016 for all other applications (options a and b above)
The evaluation of candidates will consist of two stages. A first stage of merit based selection process, which may score up to 22 points where the Selection Committee shall evaluate all the merits properly documented provided by the candidates. In a second phase, which may score up to 10 points, a personalized assessment of the research potential of the candidate shall be made through a practical test consisting of a presentation in English of the motivations to qualify for this grant where candidates will answer any questions posed by the members of the Selection Committee.
For more information please, read carefully the call document.
For any questions regarding this application please use the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call +34 96 387 9443 (ask for Clara Fornés).
Link to CALL: CALL
Link to Online Application Form: ONLINE
Link to Application Form (print version): APPLICATION FORM
(In case of discrepancies between the text of this page and that in the CALL INFORMATION 2016 (EN), the latter takes precedence if not otherwise indicated)